– Google is bringing Gemini, its new large language model, to Android, starting with the Pixel 8 Pro.
– The Pixel 8 Pro will run Gemini Nano, a version of the model specifically built for smaller devices.
– Gemini Nano allows the Pixel 8 Pro to provide features like the Summarize feature in the Recorder app without needing a network connection.
– Gboard’s Smart Reply feature will also be powered by Gemini Nano, suggesting high-quality responses to messages.
– Google is upgrading Bard, its ChatGPT rival, with Gemini, improving the Pixel’s Assistant with Bard experience.
– Google is rolling out AI-powered productivity and customization updates on other Pixel devices, such as the Pixel Tablet and Pixel Watch.
– Gemini Pro is a larger model that will power various Google services, while Gemini Ultra is the beefiest model for further AI development.
– Google is introducing AI Core, an Android 14 service, to allow developers to access AI features like Nano.
– AI Core is designed to run on new ML hardware and will be supported by flagship Qualcomm Technologies, Samsung S.LSI, and MediaTek silicon.
Google is bringing Gemini, the new large language model it just introduced, to Android, beginning with the Pixel 8 Pro. The company’s flagship smartphone will run Gemini Nano, a version of the model built specifically to run locally on smaller devices, Google announced in a blog post. The Pixel 8 Pro is powered by the Google Tensor G3 chip designed to speed up AI performance.
This lets the Pixel 8 Pro add several smarts to existing features. The phone’s Recorder app, for instance, has a Summarize feature that currently needs a network connection to give you a summary of recorded conversations, interviews, and presentations. But thanks to Gemini Nano, the phone will now be able to provide a summary without needing a connection at all.
Gemini smarts will also power Gboard’s Smart Reply feature. Gboard will suggest high-quality responses to messages and be aware of context in conversations. The feature is currently available as a developer preview and needs to be enabled in settings. However, it only works with WhatsApp currently and will come to more apps next year.
“Gemini Nano running on Pixel 8 Pro offers several advantages by design, helping prevent sensitive data from leaving the phone, as well as offering the ability to use features without a network connection,” wrote Brian Rakowski, Google Pixel’s vice president of product management.
As part of today’s AI push, Google is upgrading Bard, the company’s ChatGPT rival, with Gemini as well, so you should see significant improvements when using the Pixel’s Assistant with Bard experience. Google is also rolling out a handful of AI-powered productivity and customization updates on other Pixel devices, including the Pixel Tablet and the Pixel Watch, although it isn’t immediately clear what they are.
Gemini Nano is the smallest version of Google's large language model, while Gemini Pro is a larger model that will power not just Bard but other Google services like Search, Ads and Chrome, among others. Gemini Ultra, Google's beefiest model, will arrive in 2024 and will be used to further AI development.
Although today’s updates are focused on the Pixel 8 Pro, Google spoke today about AI Core, an Android 14 service that allows developers to access AI features like Nano. Google says AI Core is designed run on “new ML hardware like the latest Google Tensor TPU and NPUs in flagship Qualcomm Technologies, Samsung S.LSI and MediaTek silicon.” The company adds that “additional devices and silicon partners will be announced in the coming months.”
This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/googles-gemini-ai-is-coming-to-android-150025984.html?src=rss
AI Eclipse TLDR:
Google is bringing its new large language model, Gemini, to Android, starting with the Pixel 8 Pro smartphone. Gemini Nano, a version of the model specifically built for smaller devices, will run on the flagship phone, which is powered by the Google Tensor G3 chip designed to enhance AI performance. This integration allows the Pixel 8 Pro to enhance existing features, such as the Recorder app’s Summarize feature, which can now provide summaries without requiring a network connection. Gemini Nano will also power Gboard’s Smart Reply feature, suggesting high-quality responses and understanding conversation context. Google is upgrading Bard, its ChatGPT rival, with Gemini as well, providing significant improvements to the Pixel’s Assistant. The company is also introducing AI-powered productivity and customization updates for other Pixel devices. Gemini includes Nano, Pro, and Ultra versions, with Ultra set to arrive in 2024 to support further AI development. Additionally, Google announced AI Core, an Android 14 service that allows developers to access AI features like Nano, designed to run on various ML hardware.